This week Marine interviews Julia Feliz-Brueck about her consistently anti-oppression vegan activism. Julia is a decade-long vegan, a mother of two, a scientist, and a published author and illustrator. She is also the founder of Sanctuary Publishers (sanctuarypublishers.com), a vegan book publisher that gives back to marginalized communities with every book sold. Published under the Sanctuary Publishers label, sales from Julia’s most recent books, The Baby and Toddler Vegan Feeding Guide and Veganism in an Oppressive World, help support the work of Chilis on Wheels, an organization that helps to feed the homeless with vegan meals, and the Food Empowerment Project. Julia is also the founder of VeganismOfColor.com and co-writer of the Vegan Bill for Consistent Anti-Oppression (ConsistentAntiOppression.com). In this interview, Julia talks about her experience as a neurodivergent vegan of colour to bring attention to the ableism and white-centrism within the mainstream vegan movement.
Sources and Links
- Vegan Bill of Consistent Anti-Oppression: ConsistentAntiOppression.Com
This Bill outlines and explains the steps towards evolving into an effective and successful vegan movement that centers nonhuman animals.
- Veganism of Color: VeganismOfColor.Com
Use this site as a tool to learn about veganism of color, to use when addressing People of Color to point them towards their own communities, and to learn details on Vegans of Color that you should support to help veganism reach People of Color.
- New Pride Flag: NewPrideFlag.com
LGBTQIA of Color are more likely to identify as LGBTQIA and are twice as likely to be targeted by homophobia while Trans Black Women are disproportionately targeted and murdered at the highest rate from anyone else in the LGBTQIA community. This new pride flag hopes to remind the movement of its history, which was started by Trans Black and Brown women like Marsha P. Johnson. The flag also hopes to raise the voices of Trans and Queer PoC, as well as raise awareness of the need to center those most marginalized within the movement. We all benefit when we help address root issues, understand interconnections, and work to help those most afflicted in our communities. The flag is free to download on the site.
Available on Amazon, Major Booksellers, or SanctuaryPublishers.Com/Shop
- Veganism in an Oppressive World by Julia Feliz Brueck
A step by step guide on understanding veganism in an oppressive world in the words of Vegans of Color around the globe and how to navigate it to best focus efforts that actually benefit nonhuman animals
- Food Justice: A Primer by Saryta Rodriguez
A book which helps bridge Food Justice issues and Animal Rights issues in a way that exemplifies how they are interconnected and reliant on one another.
For babies and toddlers:
- Wild and Free by Andrea Zimmer and Julia Feliz
This hardcover children’s book helps children understand the wrong versus right dichotomy of speciesism and sets veganism/anti-speciesism as a social justice movement that is part of working towards human and nonhuman liberation through catchy rhymes and colorful images.
Coming soon in 2019
- Veganism of Color: Decentering Whiteness in Human and Non-Human Liberation
A Vegans of Color Community Project edited by Julia Feliz Brueck
- Racialized Speciesism by Julia Feliz on Medium: https://firstname.lastname@example.org/racialized-speciesism-991eb3653ba0
This article addresses the very real difference between speciesism as experienced by People of Color and speciesism as a general term to express human supremacy. It is vital for your understanding of why certain types of mainstream vegan activism and language are counterproductive and have the opposite of the desired effect.
- Embracing an Inclusive, Anti-Oppressive Feminism by Julia Feliz Brueck on Lover Feminist Journal: https://www.tijdschriftlover.nl/english/embracing_an_inclusive_anti-
- The Bearded Vegans, Veganism in an Oppressive World with Julia Feliz-Brueck: https://www.patreon.com/posts/episode-122-in-w-17356183
- ARZone Total Liberation Interview 1 ~ Julia Feliz Brueck: http://arzone.ning.com/forum/topics/arzone-total-liberation-interview-1-julia-feliz-brueck
Support the Show