In this episode we discuss why leftists should be vegan! We start by defining veganism as a political stance and not a grocery list, so that it’s clear that vegan praxis will look differently for everyone based on their background and privilege. We then consider the theoretical reasons why animal liberation should be a leftist concern, including discussion of anarchist and Marxist theory, and how animal agriculture was pivotal in the spread of colonial-capitalism. We follow this with a discussion of exactly how animals, environments, and people are being exploited by the animal agriculture industry (with lots of handy stats!), and finish by giving our take on whether veganism is “bourgeois.”
We cover some heavy topics but keep it entertaining. We’d love to hear what you think!
Sources and Links
- Anarchopac’s Animal Liberation Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvEBa2PgO-w&t=1s
- Baby Momma Rachel’s “My Food Stamps Cookbook”: https://myfoodstampscookbook.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders
- Cowpiracy Infographic: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/544dc5a1e4b07e8995e3effa/t/54e4d927e4b0aaf066abfcf0/1424283943008/Cowspiracy-Infographic-Metric.png
- Dylan Powell Talk: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/which-side-a-vegan-anarchist-podcast/id578833282?mt=2&i=1000364830540
- Food Empowerment Project, Slaughterhouse Workers: http://www.foodispower.org/slaughterhouse-workers/
- Good and Cheap Cookbook: https://cookbooks.leannebrown.com/good-and-cheap.pdf
- Kropotkin, Peter. 1993. Fugitive Writings. Black Rose Books.
- Mexie’s Climate Change Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dohwus7rXqY&t=0s
- One Green Planet Infographic: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/infographic-veganism-and-the-environment/
- Springer, S. 2014. War and pieces. Space and Polity. 18(1): 85-96.
- Reclus, Elisée. 2013. Anarchy, Geography, Modernity: Selected Writings of Elisée Reclus. PM Press.
- Zurowski, M., Animal Liberation and Marxism: http://weeklyworker.co.uk/worker/994/animal-liberation-and-marxism/